Friday, April 3, 2009

Jimmy's Hurricane


It’s amazing what a lost membership card can start!

Long time HMSF member Sara Ellenburg called to request a new membership card to replace a lost one. While speaking with her, I learned a fascinating story. On a recent visit to the museum Sara had seen a diner replica in the permanent exhibit, Tropical Dreams. She informed me that the diner in the photomural had belonged to her and her husband, Jimmy, who appears in the photo's background. The diner was Jimmy’s Hurricane Restaurant.

Within a few days, Sara donated menus and promotional coupons from Jimmy’s to the museum’s Research Center. She returned to the museum once again at the invitation of President/CEO Bob McCammon. They shared a lovely lunch, and those present heard many recollections about Jimmy, old Miami and how things have changed. Following the lunch Mr. McCammon’s wife, Karen Corlett-McCammon, told him that her family traditionally ate at Jimmy’s Hurricane on the way home from visiting her grandparents in Miami Beach.

Jimmy’s Hurricane Restaurant operated on the corner of Bird and Douglas Roads. Their specialty was Snapper Fingers. The Shrimp Creole, with generous sides, was listed on their menu for $1.49. Sounds like quite a bargain today! Jimmy’s Hurricane had an extensive drive-in area and an indoor dining counter. Jimmy and Sara Ellenburg presided over this Miami establishment from November 1950 to June 6, 1966.

Sara Ellenburg is someone who not only loves and supports history, but she has made her own. Meeting Sara made us very glad that she lost her membership card!

-- Hilda Masip, Membership & Data Officer

6 comments:

  1. Yeah I still remembered the snapper fingers of the Jimmy’s Hurricane Restaurant. It was too delicious. I still felt the taste of it on my tongue. I ate it when I went to Miami 2 years before. After that, I never got any chance of eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom was a waitress on roller skates

    ReplyDelete
  3. I graduated from Gables High in '54 and the U of M in '58 spending eight years of my weekends at Jimmy's. I have a small photo of Jimmy's and wonder if anyone needs a copy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would like to see photo, was my favorite hangout. Erichpabst8429@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. My family ate there every couple weeks for many years. My dad and mom were good friends of Jimmys. Its a fond memory of my childhood! Joan Andre'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up going to Jimmy's hurricane... Jimmy Ellenburg played football at the University of Florida in the 30s when my father was athletic director... My dad and Jimmy were roommates during the depression years. Jimmy's opened up in 1950 I was born in 1951... My dad would take me and my two brothers for dinner there on Friday nights as it was a family tradition.... Fried. Snapper fingers, great hamburgers with French fries were outstanding delivered to your car with girls on roller skates... My brothers and I were in heaven... Jimmy was a big supporter of Coral Gables High School and Coral Gables High School football team and Coach Nick Koty's... Jimmy was an interesting gentleman and was well known by many famous and influential people... Jimmy has a home in stiltsville that is still standing... He entertained Governors senators and many other famous people at his house in stiltsville... Jimmy was an avid fisherman and loved to spend his time out at his Stiltsville house in Biscayne Bay... If you grew up in Miami and particularly Coral Gables and South Miami in the 1950s and 60s... Jimmy's was the place to go... He was a generous guy and a fantastic gentleman his wife was such a compliment to Jimmy... I love seeing the comments of how many people remember Jimmy's Hurricane Restaurant...WBJ

    ReplyDelete