Thursday, March 10, 2011

Miami Stories


Porter at FEC Railway station in downtown Miami, Fla., 1957.
Charles Trainor, photographer. Miami News Collection, HistoryMiami, 1995-277-9470.

A little over a year ago I moved to Miami. I moved for an opportunity to work at HistoryMiami, and quickly settled into life as a South Floridian. One of the first questions people ask me when I comment on my recent relocation is why I moved to Miami. I then proceed to tell my story, and the discussion turns to my life here in Miami.

This last year I was in search of a museum education job somewhere in the nation. So I applied to museums around the nation that were hiring. HistoryMiami was one of the museums at which I interviewed. In February of 2010 I received a call from the Education Manager here at HistoryMiami informing me that I had a job as an educator if I wanted it. It was just a part-time position, but it was in the field I wanted to work in.

I have always been what I call a wondering spirit, not staying in one city for too long. I thought the move to Miami would be a great adventure, so I told the museum I would take the job. At the end of February I packed up my car, left Alabama and headed south. On March first I started here at HistoryMiami and have been here ever since. My gamble has paid off, for now I am the School Programs Manager at the museum.

Every family has a story about coming to Miami. Now you have read my story, what is yours? It may be you are a recent arrival, like me, or a generations-long resident, but there is still a story.

Here at HistoryMiami we have teamed up with the Miami Herald to collect Miami Stories. To read these stories go to http://www.miamiherald.com/miamihistory/

If you are interested in telling your story, please share it with us. Contact HistoryMiami at education@historymiami.org or call Sarah at 305-375-1492.

-- Sarah Coles, School Programs Manager

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to share your story! I know I submitted mine when the program first started and it was so nice to see it rn in the Miami Herald. I encourage everyone to do the same and share!

    ReplyDelete