Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Hampton House


The Hampton House was a popular motel and social hub for African-Americans during the 1950s and 1960s. Wedding receptions and beauty contests enlivened the motel's pool deck, and night after night locals and out-of-towners packed the club, enjoying great music and good company.

Did you know that Muhammad Ali, in town for his epic bout with Sonny Liston, stayed at the Hampton House? Dr. Martin Luther King, in Miami to meet with civil rights organizers, held press conferences at the hotel ... and found time for a dip in the pool. In addition, a slew of famous musicians including Sammy Davis, Cab Calloway and James Brown visited the Hampton House.

This 1967 photograph from the City of Miami Collection shows beauty contest contestants arriving for a stay at the Hampton House.

As society integrated, the Hampton House faded and by the mid-1970s the motel closed.

Now the Hampton House is coming back to life. The hotel is being restored as a museum and music archive. Find out more here: Hampton House video from Miami-Dade TV.

Historic photos of the Hampton House are currently on display at the Historical Museum’s Black Crossroads: The African Diaspora in Miami exhibition.

-- Kara Sincich, External Relations Coordinator

10 comments:

  1. I use to drive by the hotel all the time and I never knew exactly what it was,I just thought of it as 1 of the many dilapidated buildings in and around Miami but I did know that it was old and was often curious. A couple of years back, I was on this historical site and I found pictures where there were some beautiful black and classy women by the pool and I was so happy that I found out information about it. I missed a ceremony held recently in honor of the hotel, but I did not know about it in time, but I would like to volunteer and help in the efforts in any way I can if it is possible, even get a job there, that is how I am intrigued with this exceptional spot of black history here in Miami. I have gone to every historical site in Miami and Fort Lauderdale but the Hampton Hotel is very close to my home and I would like to see a piece of OUR history come to life all over again. Our history in Overtown is pretty much washed away and for that I am upset that I could not see that part of our history as well so we have to hold on to what we still have. I don't think very many young people or people for that matter even know what that old building was, some may not have concerns, but there are many of us out there that care about the preservation of our black history and future generations and I am fully equipped to do my part and protect that, if there is anything I can do, or any other black historical sites or gatherings, please email me, redro1982@hotmail.com. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew so many celebrities stayed at that place. It's so epic how the standards of hotels and hostels have changed over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I am living there from last 10 years. It is the place where generally celebrities come to stay. This is the hotel maintained by considering the standard of rich people. Extremely luxurious place for living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this information. It's so nice to have all this sharing, so useful and inspiring. I really appreciate the time and your effort you put to it. Great work, well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was 11 years old in 1964, I came to Miami with my grandmother and sister for a cruise to Nassau. We stayed at the Hampton House and I have several black and white photos of us at the entrance. I just happened to come across these photos and thought to research the hotel online. What a surprise to find that I also have a connection to this landmark!

    Don E. Johnson
    Washington, DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine the smile that was to know you were there, too many people are quick to say "knock it down" not knowing that there are far more generations behind to learn from the place, its meaning and significance to the area, and in history.

      Delete
  6. Interesting blog and posts, helpful and informing. I appresiate the effort you have put in writing all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the City of Miami Collection shows beauty contest contestants arriving for a stay at the Hampton House.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very impressed to your blog you did a very hard work. and I really appreciate you to sharing such a useful post, Great Job!

    ReplyDelete